Moving to New Zealand

Hastings Napier Moving Company

Hawkes Bay

Moving to Hastings or Napier, New Zealand

Are you moving to Napier, Hastings or anywhere in the Hawkes Bay, New Zealand?

Crown are  an international & domestic relocations company, specialising  in furniture removals, storage, overseas moving, movers insurance, world moving, office moving, relocation services and lots more. We will even relocate your vehicle and pets!

Our team is available to answer any relocation questions you may have. They can be reached between 8:00AM and 5:30PM from Monday to Friday on 0508 227 696 or email

Address: 613 Orchard Road, Hastings 4120, New Zealand


Hawke's Bay, New Zealand’s oldest winemaking region, may well produce some of the world’s most relished wines, but its attributes extend well beyond viticulture. Its main cities, Napier and Hastings, are also revered for their Art Deco facades and fiercely proud Maori heritage. In 1931, Napier and Hastings were reduced to rubble by a massive earthquake. With Herculean effort, the city of Napier was entirely rebuilt within two years in Art Deco style incorporating Maori motifs.

These days the cities’ eye-catching architecture is celebrated as a symbol of the communities’ ability to overcome disaster. Hawke's Bay, on the North Island’s southeast coast, spans 350km of Pacific Ocean coastline. It encompasses several diverse areas, including northern Hawke's Bay, Hastings, Havelock North, Napier and Central Hawke's Bay. A Mediterranean-like climate gives rise to the region’s reputation for being the "food bowl" of New Zealand. Here, you will find no shortage of farmers' markets, specialty food shops and fantastic restaurants whose menus draw on the region’s prolific local produce.

Outdoor adventurers will thrill to Hawke's Bay’s whitewater rafting, off-roading and trekking, while kids will love splashing on the beaches and getting lost in the Amazing Maze in Maize. Meanwhile, the lush Mohaka Valley will soothe the senses of those in search of a peaceful idyll. Gourmets, wine lovers, extreme adventurers, sun worshippers, families and professionals alike will find enormous gratification in the hidden paradise of Hawke's Bay.


There are a number of types of visa that you may be eligible for when moving to New Zealand. Depending on the length of your stay or whether you plan to work, study or invest here.

The different types of visa available reflect the different Government-funded public services potentially available to expatriates.

From work to residence visas, essential skills visas, and visas for parents and children, check what may be available to you at New Zealand Now


The New Zealand Dollar (NZD) is the local currency, and coins come in denominations of 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 and $2, with $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 dollar notes.

When it comes time to convert your money to New Zealand dollars, it’s highly recommended that you do so via online transferal companies, as opposed to cash or travellers cheques. This is because banks are known to charge very high rates when dealing with these.

Crown recommends the services of OZFOREX for converting your money online. People have been known to save hundreds, and sometimes thousands of dollars through this simple procedure.

Something else that could come in handy is opening up a New Zealand bank account before arriving in the country. This makes the transferal process of your converted money much easier and again minimises the extra costs that are commonly involved with this process.

There are a number of banks that offer easy, online sign up services, including; Westpac, Kiwibank and Bank of New Zealand.


New Zealanders drive on the left hand side of the road, and operate right hand drive automobiles. Speed limits in suburban areas range from 50km/h to 70km/h and 100km/h on motorways.

To be able to drive in New Zealand, you need to meet a number of requirements. You are roadworthy if:

  • You hold a driver licence or driving permit from another country
  • Your overseas license or driver permit is current and valid
  • You've not received a disqualification or suspension in New Zealand
  • You entered New Zealand less than 12 months ago
  • Your overseas licence is in English; if it's not, you must have an accurate translation
  • You've not been granted a New Zealand driver licence
  • You have not renewed, requalified or reinstated a New Zealand driver licence since you last entered New Zealand.

You may not be eligible to drive in New Zealand if:

  • Your overseas licence has expired or is suspended, revoked or disqualified in the country of issue
  • You have had a 28 day suspension, been served a suspension for demerit points or been disqualified by the courts in New Zealand
  • You entered New Zealand more than 12 months ago
  • You have been issued with a New Zealand licence since entering New Zealand


The standard of education across New Zealand is of a high level. The city is home to a large number of educational institutions including some of the largest universities in the country.

The majority of schools in New Zealand are public, but there are also a number of private options available. Expatriates most commonly choose public schools to enrol their children into, and these are often decided upon in terms of location.

Schools typically run on a four-term schedule: Term 1 typically goes from late January through mid-April, Term 2 from late April to early July, Term 3 from mid/late-July to late September and Term 4 from mid-October through mid-December.

Transport available to students varies according to their proximity to their school from home. Bus and train services are both cost efficient and reliable and students often find this to be the easiest method of transport.

If you would like some help finding the right school for your children, Crown are able to arrange an appointment with a consultant to provide you with guidance and the information you need to know.


The New Zealand public health care system operates at a high level. Funded for through general taxation, New Zealand residents are eligible for free hospital-based care, emergency treatment, standard medical tests, children’s immunisations and prescription medication for children under six years old. Visits to the doctor, or General Practitioner (GP) and the cost of medicine and ambulance services are also subsidised. 

In order to access public healthcare services in New Zealand, expatriates must have a work permit for a minimum of 24 months or hold a  residence permit. Expats can sign up for healthcare services with a GP in their local area. As well as having public health care, there are still private services available that some expats choose to enlist in. Private health care insurance is also a popular choice and is cheaper than many other destinations around the world.

Next Step

To arrange a quotation call our office Free on 0508 227 696, get an online Ballpark estimate, complete our Home Visit Request, get a Full Quote or Email us now.

From Crown New Zealand
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative

Quick Quote

 Security code