COVID-19: Moving House Safety Guidelines
A safety message to our customers from Crown New Zealand’s Country Manager
Firstly, I would like to acknowledge the sacrifices and hardships that many of our customers and staff have been enduring through the COVID-19 pandemic. I can only applaud the collective effort of everyone for dealing with these stresses and showing such patience. This effort has always been about everyone making sacrifices for the common good.
Achieving A Sustainable Safety Standard
In late March our business moved quickly up through the government alert levels to a situation of complete Alert Level 4 ‘lockdown’. The alert level is now moving downwards and we envisage a future where customers are again buying and selling property, taking on new leases and moving house.
What we have learned (as a community) about COVID-19 is that limiting interactions with others and good hygiene are our best defence. In this regard there is very little difference between the New Zealand government Level 4, Level 3 and Level 2. We must be vigilant and maintain safety standards as life returns to the ‘new normal.’ Crown’s aim therefore is to achieve a sustainable safety standard that minimises social interaction in the way we conduct our business.
COVID-19 Safety Standards for Moving within NZ and Overseas
No matter what level we operate under, I can assure our customers that we will continue to maintain strict safety standards for the protection of themselves, their families and our staff. Here is a summary of our COVID-19 safety standards;
- Some Crown staff are working from home. Our offices and canteens have been re-configured to facilitate social distancing.
- We expect ‘contactless’ engagement with customers. This ideal scenario is to have only one customer at any address, for either a sales or operational visit. We understand this is not always possible, therefore maintaining social distancing, (2m between our staff and customers) is the minimum standard.
- We will only perform formal sales presentations if the seating arrangements enable social distancing. Our sales consultants can be shown around an address (by a customer), given a 2m safety zone.
- We have robust contact tracing systems that document interactions between staff, customers, suppliers and site visitors.
- Our operation crews are being contacted by their supervisors during the day to ensure they are feeling well and not showing flu like symptoms.
Within 100kms of a Crown office we will not use 3rd party contracted workers in our Crown Relocations business. Outside the 100km zone (and if it makes perfect sense) we may use an approved service partner to assist with loading or unloading, at residence or into private storage. These partners will be screened to ensure they have robust safety standards in place.
- Our crews have staggered start times to limit crowding and interaction at despatch. Whenever possible they are working in the same two to three person units. They practice social distancing based upon a minimum 1m distance with each other and 2m with customers.
- We have a maximum of two crew members in our trucks and vans, unless a van has additional seating that enables correct distancing. If three or more staff are required, we will take additional vehicles to the work site, or drop them off.
- For domestic moves our delivery crews will not unpack cartons. They will set up the beds, get everything into the right rooms, unpack the furniture and take away the debris. However, there may be exceptions, in the event a customer has physical limitations and may struggle with the task.
- Every Crown Operations Manager, supervisor and crew member is trained in our Crew Safety Guidelines under the direction of our National Training Manager. New employees receive a thorough induction as they are on-boarded.
- All crew members have been issued with their own Personal Protection Equipment (PPE). This includes masks, disposable gloves, hand sanitiser, soap and personal tool boxes. They will regularly wash hands and use their hand sanitiser. The availability of PPE is a variable that may cause temporary adjustments to our safety procedures.
- Our crews have a supply of odourless, hospital grade disinfecting spray sanitiser. They may use this at addresses that has been recently occupied. The purpose of the spray is to sanitise their work areas, it will not be used directly on hard surfaces. The spray settles and evaporate within 10- 15 minutes of spraying. In some instances the home will again be sprayed upon our departure. We will ask customers to leave the work areas when we are spraying.
The above list is not exhaustive and is being regularly reviewed. Our safety standards will be flexed up or down as the situation requires.
As you can see Crown’s intention during this global pandemic is to take a safety first approach, whatever level we are operating under. We make no apologies for being vigilant and can assure you of our best intentions at all times.
Crown Worldwide NZ Ltd