Crown Relocations is NZ’s leading moving company.

Moving to Dunedin

Dunedin Movers & Storage Company

Crown are an international and domestic relocations company, specialising  in furniture removals, storage, overseas moving, movers insurance, world moving, office moving, relocation services and lots more. We will even relocate your vehicle and pets!

Our team is available to answer any relocation questions you may have. They can be reached between 8.00 am and 5:30 pm from Monday to Friday on 0508 227 696 or email [email protected]

Address: 33 McNab Street, Kenmure, Dunedin 9011, New Zealand

Let us help you plan your relocation and discover everything Dunedin and the Otago or Southland region has to offer, get a free movers quote today!

Read our blog: 5 reasons to move to Dunedin  

Considering a move to Central Otago? Read our latest blog Cromwell – A World of Difference

Dunedin static 1


Dunedin is situated in the south of the South Island and has a population of approximately 120,000 representing a multitude of cultures and is also known for the colourful student population. Dunedin is the Gaelic name for Edinburgh and is famous for its strong links with Scotland.

The local residents keep the Scottish traditions alive with memorable Haggis ceremonies and even their own brand of whisky! It is renowned for its strong culture with many beautifully preserved Victorian and Edwardian buildings including their railway station, University of Otago and Otago Boys High School. The central business district centres on The Octagon where you will find the shopping district, cafes and restaurants. Close to wonderful harbours, beaches and the spectacular scenery of central Otago, Dunedin is an easy-going, friendly and cosmopolitan city.


There are a number of types of visa that you may be eligible for when moving to New Zealand. Depending on the length of your stay or whether you plan to work, study or invest here.

The different types of visa available reflect the different Government-funded public services potentially available to expatriates.

From work to residence visas, essential skills visas, and visas for parents and children, check what may be available to you at New Zealand Now.


The New Zealand Dollar (NZD) is the local currency, and coins come in denominations of 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 and $2, with $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 dollar notes.

When it comes time to convert your money to New Zealand dollars, it’s highly recommended that you do so via online transferal companies, as opposed to cash or travellers cheques. This is because banks are known to charge very high rates when dealing with these.

Crown recommends the services of OFX for converting your money online. People have been known to save hundreds, and sometimes thousands of dollars through this simple procedure. Visit Moving your Money for more information.

Something else that could come in handy is opening up a New Zealand bank account before arriving in the country. This makes the transferal process of your converted money much easier and again minimises the extra costs that are commonly involved with this process.

There are a number of banks that offer easy, online sign up services, including; Westpac, Kiwibank and Bank of New Zealand.


Dunedin Regional Council runs a public bus network in the city, as with most places in New Zealand, a car is recommended to sample the delights of the region. For more information on bus transport please go to Dunedin Regional Council Website New Zealanders drive on the left hand side of the road, and operate right hand drive automobiles. Speed limits in suburban areas range from 50km/h to 70km/h and 100km/h on motorways. To be able to drive in New Zealand, you need to meet a number of requirements. You are roadworthy if:
  • You hold a driver licence or driving permit from another country
  • Your overseas license or driver permit is current and valid
  • You’ve not received a disqualification or suspension in New Zealand
  • You entered New Zealand less than 12 months ago
  • Your overseas licence is in English; if it’s not, you must have an accurate translation
  • You’ve not been granted a New Zealand driver licence
  • You have not renewed, requalified or reinstated a New Zealand driver licence since you last entered New Zealand.
You may not be eligible to drive in New Zealand if:
  • Your overseas licence has expired or is suspended, revoked or disqualified in the country of issue
  • You have had a 28 day suspension, been served a suspension for demerit points or been disqualified by the courts in New Zealand
  • You entered New Zealand more than 12 months ago
  • You have been issued with a New Zealand licence since entering New Zealand


The standard of education in Dunedin is of a high level. The city is home to a large number of educational institutions including some of the largest universities in the country. The majority of schools in New Zealand are public, but there are also a number of private options available. Expatriates most commonly choose public schools to enrol their children into, and these are often decided upon in terms of location.

Schools typically run on a four-term schedule: Term 1 typically goes from late January through mid-April, Term 2 from late April to early July, Term 3 from mid/late-July to late September and Term 4 from mid-October through mid-December.

Transport available to students varies according to their proximity to their school from home. Bus and train services are both cost efficient and reliable and students often find this to be the easiest method of transport.

If you would like some help finding the right school for your children, Crown are able to arrange an appointment with a consultant to provide you with guidance and the information you need to know.


The New Zealand public health care system operates at a high level. Funded for through general taxation, New Zealand residents are eligible for free hospital-based care, emergency treatment, standard medical tests, children’s immunisations and prescription medication for children under six years old.

Visits to the doctor, or General Practitioner (GP) and the cost of medicine and ambulance services are also subsidised.

In order to access public healthcare services in New Zealand, expatriates must have a work permit for a minimum of 24 months or hold a residence permit. Expats can sign up for healthcare services with a GP in their local area.

As well as having public health care, there are still private services available that some expats choose to enlist in. Private health care insurance is also a popular choice and is cheaper than many other destinations around the world.


There is a ready supply of all types and sizes of accommodation across Dunedin, and Crown Dunedin’s experienced and helpful staff have built up extensive links with the local business community, and they will be able to help you find accommodation to suit your needs.

Crown Relocations has over 55 years of experience relocating individuals and families to Dunedin and throughout New Zealand, contact us today for more information about our services.

Moving to Dunedin New Zealand | Crown Relocations

Moving to Dunedin, New Zealand? Go knowing

Next steps

To arrange a quotation call our office for an obligation FREE quote on: (NZ) 0508 227 696 or you can use our online quote form.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.

Need Advice web

Need Advice?

Hi there, you’ve reached us outside of business hours. Please leave your name and number and we’ll be in touch with you soon.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Hi there, you’ve reached us outside of business hours. Please leave your name and number and we’ll be in touch with you soon.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.