Crown Relocations is NZ’s leading moving company.

Moving to Wellington

Crown are an international and domestic relocations company, specialising in furniture removals, storage, overseas moving, movers insurance, world moving, office moving, relocation services and lots more. We will even relocate your vehicle and pets!

Our team is available to answer any relocation questions you may have. They can be reached between 8:00 am and 5:30 pm from Monday to Friday on 0508 227 696 or email [email protected]

Address: 476 Jackson Street, Petone, Wellington 5010, New Zealand

Let us help you plan your relocation and discover everything Wellington and the region has to offer, get a free movers quote today!

Wellington static1

About Wellington

Wellington’s creative vibe and energetic atmosphere sets it apart from all other cities in New Zealand. “The world’s coolest little capital city” as described by Lonely Planet, reportedly has more cafes, bars and restaurants per capita than New York!

An exciting arts scene, nightlife and cosmopolitan culture define our cities capital and helps to make it one of the more unique places in New Zealand to live attracting people from all around the world. Read more in our latest blog: 5 Reasons to move to Wellington

Visa / Permits in Wellington

There are a number of types of visa that you may be eligible for when moving to New Zealand. Depending on the length of your stay or whether you plan to work, study or invest here.

The different types of visa available reflect the different Government-funded public services potentially available to expatriates.

From work to residence visas, essential skills visas, and visas for parents and children, check what may be available to you at New Zealand Now.

Money in Wellington

The New Zealand Dollar (NZD) is the local currency, and coins come in denominations of 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 and $2, with $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 dollar notes.

When it comes time to convert your money to New Zealand dollars, it’s highly recommended that you do so via online transferal companies, as opposed to cash or travellers cheques. This is because banks are known to charge very high rates when dealing with these.

Crown recommends the services of OFX for converting your money online. People have been known to save hundreds, and sometimes thousands of dollars through this simple procedure. Visit  Moving your Money for more information.

Something else that could come in handy is opening up a New Zealand bank account before arriving in the country. This makes the transferal process of your converted money much easier and again minimises the extra costs that are commonly involved with this process.

There are a number of banks that offer easy, online sign up services, including; Westpac, Kiwibank and Bank of New Zealand.

Transportation in Wellington

Wellington’s public transport services are provided for under ‘Metlink’. This includes public busses, as well as a unique trolleybus system — the only one of its kind left in Oceania. Several different train services also operate within Wellington, multiple trains run on electrified lines and are able to transport people around the city as well as on long distance trips. For more information about Wellington’s unique public transport set-up, please visit Metlink.

In New Zealand, drivers use the left-hand side of the road, and operate right hand-drive cars. Speed limits typically range from 50km/h to 70km/h in suburban areas and peak at 100km/h on motorways.

To be able to drive in New Zealand, you need to meet a number of requirements. You are roadworthy if:

  • You hold a driver licence or driving permit from another country
  • Your overseas license or driver permit is current and valid
  • You’ve not received a disqualification or suspension in New Zealand
  • You entered New Zealand less than 12 months ago
  • Your overseas licence is in English; if it’s not, you must have an accurate translation
  • You’ve not been granted a New Zealand driver licence,
  • You have not renewed, requalified or reinstated a New Zealand driver licence since you last entered New Zealand.

You may not be eligible to drive in New Zealand if:

  • Your overseas licence has expired or is suspended, revoked or disqualified in the country of issue
  • You have had a 28 day suspension, been served a suspension for demerit points or been disqualified by the courts in New Zealand
  • You entered New Zealand more than 12 months ago
  • You have been issued with a New Zealand licence since entering New Zealand
  • For more information about getting a New Zealand driver’s licence please visit for more information.

Education in Wellington

As around most parts of New Zealand, the quality of education in Wellington is of a high level. The city provides a wide range of public and private schools as well as highly recognised tertiary institutions.

Expatriates typically choose to enroll their children in the public school system in Wellington. Which school to choose often depends on whereabouts you are living, as there are boundaries or zones specific to each public school in the city.

Schools in Wellington run on a four-term schedule: Term 1 typically goes from late January through mid-April, Term 2 from late April to early July, Term 3 from mid/late-July to late September and Term 4 from mid-October through mid-December.

Children typically get to and from school via bus or train, but this varies dependant on their proximity to school. However, bus and train services are both cost efficient and reliable and students often find this to be the easiest method of transport.

If you would like some help finding the right school for your children, Crown Wellington are able to arrange an appointment with a consultant to provide you with guidance and the information you need to know.

Health in Wellington

Funded for through general taxation, New Zealand residents are able to receive free; hospital-based care, emergency treatment, standard medical tests, children’s immunisations and prescription medication for children under six years old under the public health care system.

Subsidised pricing for doctors visits and ambulance services are also available.

In order to access public healthcare services in New Zealand, expatriates must have a work permit for a minimum of 24 months or hold a residence permit.

Expats can sign up for healthcare services with a GP in their local area.

As well as having public health care, there are still private services available that some expats choose to enlist in. Private health care insurance is also a popular choice and is cheaper than many other destinations around the world.

Accommodation in Wellington

Wellington has a wide range of housing options available across the city. There is a variety of architectural styles prevalent in different suburbs; from Art Deco and 19th century wooden cottages, to modernised apartments and family homes.

Many expatriates choose to rent homes in Wellington rather than buying them. This is due to the high rates charged for buying property in New Zealand.

When renting a property in New Zealand, rent is paid on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, not monthly. Potential tenants are required to pay a bond equal to four weeks worth of rent before moving in as a deposit, but will receive this back at the conclusion of their tenancy if the landlord’s requirement is met.

For more information about properties for sale and for rent, please visit Trade Me Website.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact Crown Wellington.

Networking in Wellington

Wellington’s melting pot of culture, art and creativity makes for a very dynamic social environment, with constant opportunities to meet people from all walks of life.

Because of this unique atmosphere, expatriates do not have trouble assimilating in to the wider Wellington community.

Opportunities to form closer-knit groups arise through children’s school activities and events, as well as through sports teams, sporting fixtures, and hobby or special interest groups.

There are also a number of reputable singles networks in the local area that arrange sightseeing trips, restaurant dinners and weekend events.

Crown Relocations has 50 of experience relocating individuals and families to Wellington and throughout New Zealand, contact us today for more information about our services.

Wellington static BP 300x300 1

Wellington movers |  Go knowing with Crown

Next steps

To arrange a quotation call our office for an obligation FREE quote on: (NZ) 0508 227 696 or you can use our online quote form.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.

Need Advice web

Need Advice?

Hi there, you’ve reached us outside of business hours. Please leave your name and number and we’ll be in touch with you soon.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Hi there, you’ve reached us outside of business hours. Please leave your name and number and we’ll be in touch with you soon.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.